home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Band: The Arcade Fire

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Band: The Arcade Fire

CRAP
142
60%
NOT CRAP
94
40%
 
Total votes : 236

Postby John George Peppers on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:56 pm

cervixFORaHEart wrote:whenever someone takes the time to hate a band this much it makes me like said band a little more....they got to be doing something right to get to you that much.

It has nothing to do with the band. It's the media that drives us crazy and not one band in particular.

cervixFORaHEart wrote:for the record, i like funeral. they are a good live band. i downloaded neon bible and promptly deleted it after one listen.


So you like a band and would see them live, but admit that half of their musical catalog is shit. Hmmmm, I find your views very interesting.
User avatar
John George Peppers
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4277
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:53 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby John George Peppers on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:58 pm

ChristopherM wrote:
cervixFORaHEart wrote:maybe you just need less media in your life, dude.


Ding! We have a winner.


HAHAHA! Absolutly, I'm with you 100%
User avatar
John George Peppers
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4277
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:53 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby cervixFORaHEart on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:58 pm

John George Peppers wrote:Hmmmm, I find your views very interesting.


i wish i could say the same about yours.
Uncle Ovipositor wrote:In Tokyo, the Japanese can pee in the streets...
User avatar
cervixFORaHEart
captain mash
captain mash
 
Posts: 1046
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:03 pm
Location: tower grove park

Postby kerble on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:58 pm

John George Peppers wrote:
kerble wrote:
warned by who? people like you? maybe you should change your approach, cause ain't nobody listening to your bullshit.


If that were true we wouldn't be having this discussion. Your statement is that they are a good live band. My statement is that they put out a shit album. I've never questioned their live performance. I hear OKGO put on a real interesting show kerble. Maybe you should rethink your opinion of them.


I don't recall telling anyone to change their opinion. I'm perfectly happy with you having your misguided "hating-scenesterism" scenesterism, ideas. It does all the work for me.

What is your view on their new album? That' what's in question right now. Im saying that Neon Bible is shit. Man, you take a lot of time to reading, kerbling, archiving, but you sure as fuck aren't directly anwering anything I'm talking about.


I have no opinion on the new album because I'm not interested. there's lots of stuff I'm not interested in.


kerble wrote:wilco is very good live. When you have Cline, Kotche and Stirratt in tow, your band will be good live. fact. Some bands I watch for the songs, some I watch for the musicians. Wilco is the second of those two, choices.


With this logic, your next going to tell me you listen to Phish because they too are excellent musicians. Did you go to Phish shows to watch their technical mastery? OH wait, you know who Phish want to be? The Greatful Dead.


funny thing is, I met the dude from phish, backstage at a wilco show in vermont. I don't see any correlation in their music, though. maybe their fans, but not the music. wilco, as of late, writes pop songs with weird noises, and no jamming. phish, as far as I can tell does not do that, though I don't know for sure. they are also terrible at spelling. I don't like phish's music enough to see them, but I like wilco's music, and musicians enough to go watch them play.

You know which fake contrived inde band 9 out of 10 Greatful Dead fans prefer? Give up? Wilco.


is that a fact, or are you talking out of your ass again? How is their music fake or contrived more so than any other band?

Tell me, Do you all hold hands at said Wilco shows or are you a bit more forward with a reacharound?


Tell me, how do you kiss your mother with that mouth when hers is so full of my cock?
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
User avatar
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 18905
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: Heartbreaker.

Postby alex maiolo on Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:04 pm

Peppers, you're my man and you have great taste in music, but Kerble doesn't have to have an opinion on anything. After that mess in the handguns thread I'm particularly sensitive to statements like that.
The guy is free to not give a shit about any band he cares to not give a shit about.

As for Arcade Fire, after listening to Neon Bilble, my opinion has not changed.

They are good.
They are not great.
I do not know why this band got tapped, and are considered the Second Coming of rock. I just don't get that.
Kerble's right (natch), they put on a hell of a show. The first time I saw them was in front of 50 people, and they were incredible.
The albums? Better than "meh," but that's it.

In the end, a small band that did something on their own terms is making a living doing what they do. Merge records has now had a #2 record.
How is this bad?

I have been bored to freakin' tears by CYHSY's live show, but those guys sold a ton of records with no label involvement, and when they went to the next level, they did it entirely on their terms as a result.
Hooray for them. Seriously.
I don't get the impression that they did a study to see what kind of music would get the most hype, and then changed their MO based on that. No, they cranked out their cutesy rock, people dug it, and then they quit their day jobs. Bully for them.

Hype can happen now because the discussion isn't controlled by record companies, it's controlled by fans (mostly), at least outside of the Top 40 world. I'm going to venture a guess and say that any one of our bands would love to have the hype that Arcade Fire, CYHSY, Amy Winehouse, or whoever the hell, because it would mean we could make enough money playing music to buy a house and not go to a day job.

Nothing needs to be done about this hype beyond making sure more bands that want to make music for a living get some of it.

-A
Last edited by alex maiolo on Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dontfeartheringo wrote:If $100 is too much for you to spend on a microphone maybe you should find a new hobby. People like you seem to like Magic: The Gathering a lot.
User avatar
alex maiolo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7367
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 11:47 pm
Location: Chapel Hill NC (please excuse my english)

Postby Minotaur029 on Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:06 pm

kerble wrote:funny thing is, I met the dude from phish, backstage at a wilco show in vermont. I don't see any correlation in their music, though. maybe their fans, but not the music. wilco, as of late, writes pop songs with weird noises, and no jamming. phish, as far as I can tell does not do that, though I don't know for sure. they are also terrible at spelling. I don't like phish's music enough to see them, but I like wilco's music, and musicians enough to go watch them play.


I think that Phish...Umphrey's McGee share a certain sound with Wilco...the way in which the bands are "cohesive" (<-it's difficult to articulate just what I mean here)...and the way that when any of the above mentioned bands "rocks out" it takes on a "this is a jam band rocking out vibe" (i.e. - little impact...or "umph"). A jam band can "rock" but they can rarely rock very hard. It's kinda difficult to explain what I mean.
User avatar
Minotaur029
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7792
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:20 pm
Location: 7777

Postby kerble on Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:09 pm

Minotaur029 wrote:I think that Phish...Umphrey's McGee share a certain sound with Wilco...the way that the bands are cohesive...and the way that when any of the above mentioned bands "rocks out" it takes on a "this is a jam band rocking out vibe" (i.e. - little impact...or "umph"). A jam band can "rock" but they can rarely rock very hard. It's kinda difficult to explain what I mean.


fwiw, I know exactly the kind of "rocking out" that you are referring to.

There is a similar "rocking out" that bugs me: the "they might be giants are really rocking out, now!" kind of rock. it's fast, with distortion and fast drumming, but still as lifeless and limp as JGP's arguments.

I'm pretty sure Cline and Kotche push them over the edge on that one.

both are of the best players, evah.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
User avatar
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 18905
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: Heartbreaker.

Postby RSMurphy on Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:18 pm

John George Peppers wrote:
H-GM wrote:How does having a crappy second album negate the, uh, non-crappiness of a first album? It doesn't. Funeral is a fine album, Neon Bible is not.


When and where have I ever brought up the first album?


"I completely agree with you H-GM. It's comparable because it's a 180 degree counter reaction to all the HYPE. Those of us who recognize this band as complete shit will always be here to deflate the hype. One KEY difference. I never bring them up. However, when Arcade Fire fans and go on and on about the genius of the new album etc.etc.etc.. That's when I exercise my right to tell them I think they are dead wrong."

It can be inferred by this post.


I understand why mis-guided fools, such as yourself, think it's a good album. So, givin your view that the bands first album is good and their second is crap. You, a supporter of the Arcade Fire in this debate, admit that the band is as of now 50% a pile of crap. Ok, I can live with that.


"Mis-guided fool?" Hey, chump, trying to gain cred on the premier rock forum by taking lame shots at a big target is misguided. But, please, inform me some non crap music so that I might become as cool as you. And please don't just list bands. A little personalized background of each would be extremely helpful.
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9818
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:52 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby Minotaur029 on Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:20 pm

alex wrote:Hype can happen now because the discussion isn't controlled by record companies, it's controlled by fans (mostly), at least outside of the Top 40 world. I'm going to venture a guess and say that any one of our bands would love to have the hype that Arcade Fire, CYHSY, Amy Winehouse, or whoever the hell, because it would mean we could make enough money playing music to buy a house and not go to a day job.


This is one of the most interesting aspects of music today. The game has completely changed. My generation is a bunch of morons (so far...no taste despite unlimited resources). Sites like Pitchfork play a big role in controlling the discussion...sad but true. Pitchfork is a new "mini" MTV. Icky poo. Lots of Pitchfork-esque websites have sprung up as well (smaller staffs...more like a blog)...they also help direct the conversation amongst my generation.

The internet can be used to our advantage...touring is no longer the only source of legitimate and exciting "networking." The cultivation of frienships can now happen through a tool like Facebook. I've met a lot of amazing people just through that (and the occasional MySpace friendship).

That being said FUCK Clap Your Hands Say Yeah anyway...fuck a giant hype machine, even if you created it. Create real friendships with people that you agree with...people that make you excited to share music, to be alive...even if they're a million miles away. Meet them on tour, talk about record making, send them your records...and above all...slowly build a network of actual friends.

There is still no subsititute for touring...the internet's effectiveness is quite limited...but the internet is also a slower process when it comes to this sort of thing...patience (and non-douchebaggery) is a virtue.


I wonder how you old timers (approximately...25 years plus?) feel about this shift. I feel as if the perception of such a change might be viewed very negatively...of course, you could also make a strong argument that nothing has changed...
Last edited by Minotaur029 on Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Minotaur029
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7792
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:20 pm
Location: 7777

Postby Minotaur029 on Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:23 pm

kerble wrote:
Minotaur029 wrote:I think that Phish...Umphrey's McGee share a certain sound with Wilco...the way that the bands are cohesive...and the way that when any of the above mentioned bands "rocks out" it takes on a "this is a jam band rocking out vibe" (i.e. - little impact...or "umph"). A jam band can "rock" but they can rarely rock very hard. It's kinda difficult to explain what I mean.


fwiw, I know exactly the kind of "rocking out" that you are referring to.

There is a similar "rocking out" that bugs me: the "they might be giants are really rocking out, now!" kind of rock. it's fast, with distortion and fast drumming, but still as lifeless and limp as JGP's arguments.

I'm pretty sure Cline and Kotche push them over the edge on that one.

both are of the best players, evah.


Kotche was one of the best decisions Tweedy ever made. Cline is up there too. Wilco drives me nuts...no other band makes my opinion go back and forth regarding their quality like they do...
User avatar
Minotaur029
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7792
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:20 pm
Location: 7777

Postby RSMurphy on Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:39 pm

BadComrade wrote:
H-GM wrote:trying to gain cred on the premier rock forum by taking lame shots at a big target is misguided.


Dude, you have to have over 1000 posts to be considered a "big target" here, you know that.

:)


I know someone who lived with Brian McMahan. I'm a big target.
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9818
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:52 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby John George Peppers on Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:46 pm

kerble wrote:
John George Peppers wrote:
What is your view on their new album? That' what's in question right now. Im saying that Neon Bible is shit. Man, you take a lot of time to reading, kerbling, archiving, but you sure as fuck aren't directly anwering anything I'm talking about.


I have no opinion on the new album because I'm not interested. there's lots of stuff I'm not interested in.


Lets review that:
Question: Kerble what do you think of the new Arcade Fire Album?

kerble wrote:
I have no opinion on the new album.


Hmmm.


Now can we stop this nonsence. You last comment was way uncalled for.


alex maiolo wrote:Peppers, you're my man and you have great taste in music.


Thanks, same goes for you!

H-GM wrote: Hey, chump, trying to gain cred on the premier rock forum by taking lame shots at a big target is misguided.


This quote is so funny on many many levels. Alright Big-shot I'll try not to gain any more "cred" dissagreing with your opinion on Arcade Fire. I'll just move to the back of the long line of people waiting to gain access to the premier rock forum. Damn, and I got so close to bagging my first big fish(H-GM) under a pseudonym on a faceless forum thread. Damn, you got me!
User avatar
John George Peppers
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4277
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:53 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby RSMurphy on Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:56 pm

BadComrade wrote:Oh yeah? Well I know TWO people who have owned / currently own Steve's old house!

Beat that!


I own one of his guitars

Image
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9818
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:52 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby RSMurphy on Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:58 pm

John George Peppers wrote: Alright Big-shot I'll try not to gain any more "cred" dissagreing with your opinion on Arcade Fire. I'll just move to the back of the long line of people waiting to gain access to the premier rock forum. Damn, and I got so close to bagging my first big fish(H-GM) under a pseudonym on a faceless forum thread. Damn, you got me!


I was referring to the Arcade Fire as a big target to take a lame shot at, you nitwit.
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9818
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:52 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby Marsupialized on Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:59 pm

John George Peppers wrote:
kerble wrote:
John George Peppers wrote:
What is your view on their new album? That' what's in question right now. Im saying that Neon Bible is shit. Man, you take a lot of time to reading, kerbling, archiving, but you sure as fuck aren't directly anwering anything I'm talking about.


I have no opinion on the new album because I'm not interested. there's lots of stuff I'm not interested in.


Lets review that:
Question: Kerble what do you think of the new Arcade Fire Album?

kerble wrote:
I have no opinion on the new album.


Hmmm.


Now can we stop this nonsence. You last comment was way uncalled for.


alex maiolo wrote:Peppers, you're my man and you have great taste in music.


Thanks, same goes for you!

H-GM wrote: Hey, chump, trying to gain cred on the premier rock forum by taking lame shots at a big target is misguided.


This quote is so funny on many many levels. Alright Big-shot I'll try not to gain any more "cred" dissagreing with your opinion on Arcade Fire. I'll just move to the back of the long line of people waiting to gain access to the premier rock forum. Damn, and I got so close to bagging my first big fish(H-GM) under a pseudonym on a faceless forum thread. Damn, you got me!


I would just like to take a moment of everyone's time if I might.
I'll wait for you to get settled, everyone ok?
I would like to hereby officially endorse this new fella John George Peppers as my kind of guy.
Thank you for your time.
User avatar
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 40816
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:21 am
Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby HOUSTON_M on Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:08 pm

Arcade Fire have two songs and those two songs are too long.
HOUSTON_M
 

Postby Mark Hansen on Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:11 pm

Marsupialized wrote:I would just like to take a moment of everyone's time if I might.
I'll wait for you to get settled, everyone ok?
I would like to hereby officially endorse this new fella John George Peppers as my kind of guy.
Thank you for your time.


Why? Does he masturbate to big girl porn?

Is this another new pseudonym Marsup?
User avatar
Mark Hansen
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8952
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:45 am

Postby Marsupialized on Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:14 pm

Mark Hansen wrote:
Marsupialized wrote:I would just like to take a moment of everyone's time if I might.
I'll wait for you to get settled, everyone ok?
I would like to hereby officially endorse this new fella John George Peppers as my kind of guy.
Thank you for your time.


Why? Does he masturbate to big girl porn?

Is this another new pseudonym Marsup?


New? there isn't ONE pseudonym for me dickhead, I only post with this name.
Why do I constantly have some jerkwad accusing me of creating these fake people and posting with them?
Nobody has ever come up with a reason as to why I would do that.
So I ask you, new person to accuse me of such a stupid thing...why would I do that?
I have never once masturbated to big girl porn.
That's like eating a picture of a mcdonalds burger.
Why wouldn't I just go down the street and get a real one if I wanted one? It's not like they are hard to find.
User avatar
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 40816
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:21 am
Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby John George Peppers on Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:40 pm

Speaking of porn. Here's some porn for all you Neon Bible loving spineless emo whiners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjxef8AfVQg


(Overheard from a Arcade Fire fan on the Eletrical Forum. "AMERICA's Premier Rock Forum." )
Hey everyone look how CLEVER the Arcade Fire can be. WOW. They are playing a new song crammed in an elevator. WOW. They stomping on the floor and ceiling for percussion. Oh my god that little troll girl in the band isn't playing a hurdy gurdy in this track. Oh my god, the violins sound so so so so so so so UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I just lost my load there. They're SO Groundbreakingly artsy ."
User avatar
John George Peppers
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4277
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:53 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby kerble on Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:45 pm

Marsupialized wrote:I would just like to take a moment of everyone's time if I might.
I'll wait for you to get settled, everyone ok?
I would like to hereby officially endorse this new fella John George Peppers as my kind of guy.
Thank you for your time.


that's why you bumped the anal sex thread, isn't it? you should just pm him instead. it makes it less creepy for the rest of us.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
User avatar
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 18905
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: Heartbreaker.

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bishopdante, Google [Bot] and 12 guests