home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Bono 'depressed' over German aid to Africa'

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Postby j_harvey on Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:19 pm

Steve V. wrote:I was speaking with a fellow a long time ago who said he read an article that within the next 20 years, Africa will have to be quarantined because AIDs will have spread so much that 98% of the population will be infected. Anyone else know about this?

I am guessing Bono must. Maybe that's why he never seems satisfied with the amount of money that is raised?
j_harvey
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby newberry on Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:05 am

If there's a telethon that raises 10 million, he says 20 would've been a better number.

Good for him for encouraging folks to give more money. 20 is better than 10.
newberry
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Redline on Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:39 am

The least Bono could do is remind some of the the African Kings to wear a condom while they're drilling their 9th 14 year-old wife...
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Earwicker on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:23 am

I thought that Bono, Geldof et al had changed tack from telling us to give our money to getting the politicians to pledge it.

This is a good thing - but when some members of their movement criticised the G8 for not going far enough in 2005 Geldof attacked them - publicly.
Immediately afterward when it was quite apparent that they didn't intend fulfilling there promises and some activists pointed this out Geldof attacked them.

Now Bono isn't Geldof - but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think they were both patting each other on the back for a job well done over Live 8. So it's no wonder they're depressed now that there detractors have been proved correct.

About 10 or more years ago I remember reading that Bono was worth about 70 million dollars. Think of that number and then think that was ten years ago - he'll be worth a lot more now.
I can see why people think it's good that someone with a name is speaking out on issues blah blah blah but the fact is that the problem in the third world is directly related to the fact that we have in the developed world people as disgustingly rich as he is.

So he should give all his money away (maybe keep back a million - or even two) or he should shut the fuck up.

Christ - he could release another album and again be richer than most will ever dream of within a month.
Last edited by Earwicker on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Earwicker
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Earwicker on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:27 am

newberry wrote:
If there's a telethon that raises 10 million, he says 20 would've been a better number.

Good for him for encouraging folks to give more money. 20 is better than 10.

then he is in a better position than most on earth to top up the difference
Earwicker

Postby Adam CR on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:39 am

Pretty much every criticism made of Bono in this thread could be make of us all. We could all probably afford too have less stuff. Our stuff is as representative of the economic inequalities of the world as Bono's stuff.
On a steel horse I ride.
Adam CR
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Earwicker on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:55 am

Adam CR wrote:Pretty much every criticism made of Bono in this thread could be make of us all. We could all probably afford too have less stuff. Our stuff is as representative of the economic inequalities of the world as Bono's stuff.

I disagree. Bono could surely have, materially speaking everything and anything he could possibly want and still have tens and tens of millions left over (unless he bought 'for the love of god').

This raises the question that I tried asking somewhere on here before about what is too much?
I personally would raise the bar quite high but I cannot see why anyone could ever want more than - say - 10 million quid.

If you have more than that then I'll stop listening when you go on about world poverty.
Earwicker

Postby Sid Hartha on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:02 am

Fucking do-gooders. We hate them so, don't we?
Sid Hartha
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby Flaneur on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:55 am

Here: if you want to mock Bono, don't piss on his charity work. Just enjoy reading about his feud with...well read for yourself.
Flaneur

Postby clocker bob on Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:17 pm

Bono is mad at Canada now. It's always been well known that Canada hates Africans. Look at the NHL.
Two of world's most famous anti-poverty activists tore into Prime Minister Stephen Harper on Friday, accusing Canada of blocking other G8 nations from making clear targets in the group's humanitarian aid package to Africa.

The comments by U2 front man Bono and musician Bob Geldof came after the countries pledged on Friday, the final day of the G8 summit in Germany, to recommit $60 billion to fight the spread of disease and poverty engulfing the continent.

The high-profile activist-musicians cited sources inside the summit who alleged Harper personally blocked the G8 leaders from accepting accountability for fulfilling their promises.

But Harper was quick to dismiss the charges in a press conference later Friday.

"I can say with absolute certainty that Canada was not blocking anything on this," Harper told reporters. "We happen to believe that when it comes to aid moneys that the whole framework of accountability is important.

The opposition has said the Harper government only arrived at a claim to be on target by re-calculating Canada's 2005 commitment and shaving $800 million — nearly one-third — from the $2.9 billion the previous Liberal government promised in 2005.
clocker bob

Postby Gramsci on Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:33 pm

Trade not aid.

Aid to Africa is a bandaid, what Africa needs is fair trade for its primary produce and a massive anti-corruption drive by all concerned. Throwing cash only enriches dictators and prolongs the problems.

Until the Western economies trade fairly all the "aid" to Africa is just buying off a guilty conscience.

...and what about Asia ... what about Oceania ... what about Latin America?

money to Africa is no better than the cash the Catholic church used to ask for for a ticket to heaven.

Who about we fix the problem instead of appeasing our guilt?
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Colonel Panic on Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:37 pm

So what do you propose we do? Just not help them at all and let them starve until they can install non-corrupt leaderhip?
All that glitters is not aluminum.
Colonel Panic
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby 2207 on Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:46 pm

Jesus, we could have waited for tomorrow to have this debate. Sunday, bloody Sunday.
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Colonel Panic on Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:49 pm

>groan<
All that glitters is not aluminum.
Colonel Panic
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Gramsci on Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:52 pm

Colonel Panic wrote:So what do you propose we do? Just not help them at all and let them starve until they can install non-corrupt leaderhip?

The eradication of capitalism might be a good start?
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby newberry on Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:08 pm

The eradication of capitalism might be a good start?

How do you suggest that be done?
newberry

Postby clocker bob on Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:39 pm

newberry wrote:
gramsci wrote:The eradication of capitalism might be a good start?

How do you suggest that be done?

Yeah, I'm a little confused, too. I agree with Gramsci that fair trade would be better than cash assistance, because more of the benefits would get to the most needy, but I don't think the world will be ridding itself of capitalism in order to trade with the African continent. Trade ( in humans ) from the African continent is a big part of what sent that continent down the toilet, and what's more capitalist than that? I doubt the globalists will be any fairer when they come to take Africa's resources or put them to work for shit wages.
clocker bob

Postby Andrew. on Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:29 am

Bono is a feel-good, multi-millionaire, capitalist-humanitarian activist. That covers it.

It doesn't mean his heartfelt, self-referential efforts on behalf of the global south have no positive, palliative, or material effect; it simply means his activism is of a piece with his music: it's hollow, feel-good crap that brings happiness to many people on one hand, while, on the other, puts on a masquerade of being progressive, principled, and smart, which, in itself, is only possible by cannibalizing the labor of those who toil in obscurity and patronizing those to whom it lays claim.

Bono's brand of liberal, feel-good activism plays on two fundamentally hollow premises:

1) We don't need to confront power. State and Multi-national capitalists can join hands with wage laborers without anyone having to reevaluate business as usual, or you know, feel uncomfortable or confused about anything: just dig a little deeper into those pockets, swipe that red card, wear that T-shirt, pump that U2 ipod, all the way to global equality.

2) Africans need our help, our aid, like children do. Not because the history of our privilege is the history of their emiseration; oh, no--it's because they're in a tough spot and we, well we just happen to be ahead of the game. Got it figured pretty good up in the global north, so why not help a brother out, like all good Christians/humanitarians/liberals/rockers/presidents/CEOs.

Africans don't need more western millionaires with a conscience. They need a chance to build their own struggles without having the destinies of their children, like their parents' before them, ravaged under the tracks of commerce and capital.

Joao Pedro Stedile wrote:The first thing to do is bring down your neoliberal governments. Second help us to get rid of foreign debt. . . Third, fight - build mass strugges. Don't delude yourself that because you have a higher living standard than us, you can build a better world. It's impossible for you to maintain your current patterns of consumption without exploiting us.

Stedile is part of the Brazilian landless movement, but his words are true of most of the global south. And to Bono's credit, he's at least been active on Stedile's second point (while working against the first and third).

Otherwise, see:

Africa's new best friends

The US and Britain are putting the multinational corporations that created poverty in charge of its relief

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story ... 87,00.html

Empire of Oil: Capitalist Dispossession and the Scramble for Africa

http://www.monthlyreview.org/0906watts.htm

The marginalization of sub-Saharan Africa

http://www.internationalviewpoint.org/s ... che=africa

Etc.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Cranius on Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:12 am

Andrew. wrote:1) We don't need to confront power. State and Multi-national capitalists can join hands with wage laborers without anyone having to reevaluate business as usual, or you know, feel uncomfortable or confused about anything: just dig a little deeper into those pockets, swipe that red card, wear that T-shirt, pump that U2 ipod, all the way to global equality.

On the other hand, people could just Buy Less Crap.
Cranius
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:11 am

Steve V. wrote:I'm glad someone is getting involved in world issues and attempting to use their (ill-gotten) starpower for good. But this fucking asshole always makes it seem like no matter what anyone does, it's never good enough. If there's a telethon that raises 10 million, he says 20 would've been a better number.

Cause you know what? Bono is in position to preassure politician to give additional 5 millions, making that 75% (in your example) of what was expected just so they won't be painted like greedy bastards by the press. And to do it he has no other option than hype things out. Same applies to Geldolf. Plus, he has been involved in aid to Africe since like what, early 80's? There is no way you can throw him into the same league as Paris Hilton-type celebs who occiasionally handle $50.000 check to someone, always in front of the cameras.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion