Straight edge?

CRAP?
75%
NOT CRAP?
25%

Total votes : 108

Ethos: straight edge

Postby chalst on Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:24 pm

As pioneered by Ian MacKaye: abstention from alcohol, drugs, sex; self-reliance; healthy mind and healthy body; vegetarianism, etc.
chalst
ensign
ensign

No sex is the hardest part

Postby Redline on Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:37 pm

Not Crap in a "be responsible" way, but Crap in a preachy way. I may as well have The Man pointing his plastic finger at me.
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby patrick md on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:11 pm

As a dear friend of mine once said, "Stright edge until you're 21, then it's stright to the edge of the bar!"

I've never been edge, but as a 24 year old, this statement has been 99 percent true with people I know that were edge as we enter our mid 20s.

And for that, untimately straight edge is crap.
patrick md
cats
cats

Postby kerble on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:33 pm

I was a teetotaler until I turned 18 and picked up all of my vices, but I've never had a problem with those "nailed to the X" unless they spouted the same brand of self-righteous bullshit that I lump in with militant vegans and republicans.

Bonus points go to the 'edgers that have sXeXy tatoos, but have changed their minds and now hoist beers. Way to think it through, hombre.

No sex? Fuck that.

Crap with a waffle factor of X.

Faiz
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby chet on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:51 pm

kerble wrote:I was a teetotaler until I turned 18 and picked up all of my vices, but I've never had a problem with those "nailed to the X" unless they spouted the same brand of self-righteous bullshit that I lump in with militant vegans and republicans.

My friends were in a Bold tribute band called "XNailedToTheAwesomeX".

Thats the kind of stuff you come up with when your brain's on drugs!
chet
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby chalst on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:58 pm

patrick md:
And for that, untimately straight edge is crap

Yep. There has to be some waffle factor here: there's some important message about integrity in the straight edge message, but the preachiness goes to the root of stright edge: if there's a crap side to MacKaye, it's the fact the the finger wagging preacher was there from the very beginning with his ideas about straight edge, together with the be like this, so you're not a loser pothead. And there's some vaguely fascist modes of thought lurking inside a lot of the straight edge movement.
chalst
ensign
ensign

Postby Angry_Dragon on Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:06 am

NOT CRAP because anything and I mean anything is way cooler than goth.
Better yet, eat the placenta!!!
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment

Location: Baltimore, Where Murderous Football Players Own Resturaunts

Postby wiggins on Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:31 am

ive always wanted to know what mr. mckaye thinks about how straight edge is now.

something particularly stands out from the instrument dvd:
"you do not beat up people period"

in atlanta, (at least a year or two ago, i dont know about now as much)you'd get the shit kicked out of you by a gang of skinny white kids if you expressed even the slightest dissent publicly. i had a friend of mine actually get death threats for talking shit about 'the edge' at a show, to one of his friends. not anyone in general, just the concept of 'straight edge' and this fucker wanted to kill him.

i have an extraordinary amount of disdain for straight edge, and i cant wait for the day when i can go to a show and not run the risk of getting kicked in the head, jumped on by a scronny, naked 18 year old with a bad attitude, or have to wait for the bathroom because there was a line to use the mirror.

i dont see any distinction between these people and people that blow up abortion clinics.

i know a couple of kids that gave me a new hope in straightedge, and everyone should have held them in high regard as an example, but they're drunks now, so it doesnt matter.

crap with a miniscule waffle.

yeah and ive yet to hear a 'straight edge' band since minor threat that wasnt a piece of dysentery-grade shit.
wiggins
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Jon on Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:25 am

straight edge is just a bullshit social crutch for little kiddies to fit in with. linguistic games, that's all.
Jon
godot
godot

Postby Severance Package on Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:18 am

I respect Ian's original idea, but all the people who followed in his path have turned straight-edge into uber-crap. People should follow their own path rather than going with a group mentality.

Don't some of those guys go around smacking cigarettes and meat out of people's hands?
Severance Package
ward boss
ward boss

Postby Maurice on Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:52 am

Angry_Dragon wrote:NOT CRAP because anything and I mean anything is way cooler than goth.

Even, say, Furries? I'd think that goth has the advantage there.
music every week | here, too | and here | snwv | other stuff

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I ask you: What the fuck?
Maurice
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Angry_Dragon on Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:17 pm

Maurice wrote:
Angry_Dragon wrote:NOT CRAP because anything and I mean anything is way cooler than goth.

As in the people who have sex in animal costumes or the band Super Furry Animals? I actually have a SFA t-shirt that just says FURRIES on it.
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment

Postby Maurice on Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:23 pm

Angry_Dragon wrote:
Maurice wrote:

As in the people who have sex in animal costumes or the band Super Furry Animals?

That'd be a) the people who have sex in animal costumes. I'm having trouble seeing them as being cooler than goths.

Maurice

Postby Angry_Dragon on Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:31 pm

Of course they're cooler than goths. I bet that most Furries don't mope around and wear all black. i bet they also don't write bad poetry or post on bulletin boards about how gray skys make them comfortable. While what they do is kinda creepy, it's harmless and seems somewhat good-natured.
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment

Postby horsewhip on Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:59 pm

I have friends who are straight edge. The unspoken rule is that I don't care if they're straight edge as long as they don't care that I'm not. That seems to work out just fine.

Not Crap for them. Crap for the militant, preachy assholes. Most of the straight edge kids I know would vote crap, too.
horsewhip
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby Maurice on Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:43 pm

Angry_Dragon wrote:While what they do is kinda creepy, it's harmless and seems somewhat good-natured.

OK, granted. But what about straight-edge goth furries?

Maurice

Postby Angry_Dragon on Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:05 am

Maurice wrote:
Angry_Dragon wrote:While what they do is kinda creepy, it's harmless and seems somewhat good-natured.

OK, granted. But what about straight-edge goth furries?

I'd pay good money to see this.
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment

Postby gio on Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:27 am

i respect straight edge as an ethos, in theory, which is the title of the poll, so i would vote not crap.

in practice, I have witnessed the bad side of straight edge, but as with any ethos, one could argue that such people are not in tune with the "true spirit of the endeavor."

In my opinion, using violent straight edge kids as paradigms of the ideal is analagous to using militant suicide bombers as paradigms of Islam. It's a case where an ethos is appropriated to make an excuse for severe fucked-uppedness that is rooted in other causes. I'm aware this is a vague response, but I believe it's true.

It's interesting to think of Mackaye as a mythic figure whose words of wisdom are misappropriated. (No, he's not Jesus. That would requre a few thousand years and the proliferation of DIY rock to world-order status).
gio
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby BenjieLoveless on Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:45 am

Any rigid absolute personal philosophy is CRAP. Especiallly a preachy skinhead shit that says kids shouldnt fuck. How the hell else are you gonna be able to fuck good as an adult if you don't fuck bada few times as a teen?
.......of the BLUE HUMOURS
BenjieLoveless
crate
crate

Postby Johnny 13 on Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:47 pm

Not crap if you don't bring it up.
Johnny 13
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap