crap or not crap

crap
73%
not crap
27%

Total votes : 154

Re: band:U2

Postby zartoid on Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:06 am

I have owned one U2 record, and while I'm far from a fan, all you haters are really struggling to make any convincing point as to why they don't deserve any respect. The masses love their anthemic rock and U2 are sincere about writing it, they deliver deep joy to 100k people at a time, and that wins over any of the points made so far. For all the anti-Bono rants, he has at least recognized how power and influence can change things, and there are probably several million people not quite so poor, hungry or diseased thanks to his ego and shades.

I say well done U2, and please keep that position occupied so that none of those Coldplay types ever get the chance to step in. Haters - spend next sunday in IKEA, look what people are buying then ask how they like U2.
zartoid
rocky mountain oysters
rocky mountain oysters

Postby daniel robert chapman on Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:10 am

zartoid wrote:I say well done U2, and please keep that position occupied so that none of those Coldplay types ever get the chance to step in.

That doesn't make any sense. If Coldplay did occupy that position, you would like them for the same reasons you like U2, because they would be doing all the good things you think U2 do. Or are Coldplay not allowed to help the hungry because their songs aren't as good as U2's?
Twenty-four hours a week, seven days a month
daniel robert chapman
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby zartoid on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:43 am

There was no U2 before U2. For all the lame calls on U2, they have at least carved out their own universe of stadium rock, they did so without photocopying another band, and both Bono and Edge make a sound that is unique to some degree. All this I can live with, it is first generation and its sincere. What I cannot stand are the nth degree copies of this blueprint, bands who do all this but end up even more bland, sanitized and simply don't have the talent to match the original.

I don't like U2 much, respect and like are two different qualities. They proved that humans like to fill stadia with torch songs and be united in whatever moment this represents. That job has to go to somebody, and I think U2 are by far the best candidates.

As for Coldplay, TV charity appeals will always need music.
zartoid
rocky mountain oysters
rocky mountain oysters

Postby daniel robert chapman on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:54 am

zartoid wrote:There was no U2 before U2. For all the lame calls on U2, they have at least carved out their own universe of stadium rock, they did so without photocopying another band, and both Bono and Edge make a sound that is unique to some degree. All this I can live with, it is first generation and its sincere.

Nonsense. U2 ripped their entire act from Simple Minds. Bono is just a cheap Jim Kerr wannabee.
Twenty-four hours a week, seven days a month
daniel robert chapman

Postby zartoid on Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:30 am

If we swap Simple Minds for U2 in all of the above, I might be defending Simple Minds for all the same reasons. We are discussing a ubiquitous product which by default will have its detractors, but maybe we can agree that bands such as Simple Minds and U2 are the best people for this job ? And looking better by the minute when compared to the current offerings. All I'm saying is that the planet didn't get such a bad deal out of U2 as mega-stadium rock providers.
zartoid
rocky mountain oysters
rocky mountain oysters

Postby Andrew. on Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:57 pm

zartoid wrote:I have owned one U2 record, and while I'm far from a fan, all you haters are really struggling to make any convincing point as to why they don't deserve any respect. The masses love their anthemic rock and U2 are sincere about writing it, they deliver deep joy to 100k people at a time, and that wins over any of the points made so far. For all the anti-Bono rants, he has at least recognized how power and influence can change things, and there are probably several million people not quite so poor, hungry or diseased thanks to his ego and shades.

Mass popularity is a stupid index for assessing a band. U2 make banal, overwrought arena rock. So does Nickelback.

On the do-goodism, I've said more than my piece on this thread. And I didn't even mention this:

Irish Times wrote:Protest at U2's tax exile status

Protesters have demonstrated outside the Department of Finance against U2’s decision to move their tax affairs to the Netherlands to avoid paying tax on their royalties in Ireland.

The protest was organised by the Debt and Development Coalition Ireland (DDCI) which campaigns on issues related to the developing world. The coalition contains such organisations as, Trócaire, Oxfam and various Catholic missionary orders.

U2 moved their publishing arm to the Netherlands in 2006 after the Government capped tax-free earnings for artists at €250,000. Previously, U2 had been one of the biggest beneficiaries of Ireland's tax-free status for artist royalties.

[...]

DDCI co-ordinator Nessa ní Chasaíde said the decision to holding the protest outside the department of Finance was to highlight the fact that U2’s tax avoidance measures deprives the Irish exchequer of taxation revenue that could be spent on development aid.

“Bono has championed the call for increases in aid to impoverished countries, yet in his personal life he is engaged in tax avoidance issues and it is tax avoidance that is undermining the possibility of developing countries fighting their way out of poverty,” she said.

“The practice of being able to move your finances around easily and without high levels of transparency is extremely problematic for developing countries. The kind of practice that U2 is engaging in is part of that problem.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... ing60.html

Or this:

The Guardian wrote:
U2 criticised for world tour carbon footprint

Environmentalists claim the Irish stadium rockers' tour will create enough carbon to send Bono and the boys to Mars. Why not just send them to Mars?

U2's world tour might make an enormous impression with its giant claw, but the environmental impact is reportedly just as staggering. According to an environmental group, the band's 44 concert dates this year have the equivalent carbon footprint of a return flight to Mars. And U2 have the same number of shows planned for 2010.

"Looking at the 44 concerts, U2 will create enough carbon to fly all 90,000 people attending one of their Wembley dates (in London) to Dublin," Helen Roberts, an environmental consultant for carbonfootprint.com, told the Belfast Telegraph. Put another way, U2's CO2 emissions are reportedly the equivalent to the average annual waste produced by 6,500 British people, or the same as leaving a lightbulb running for 159,000 years.

Environmentalists' criticism of U2 comes within a year of Bono's "prayer" that "we become better in looking after our planet". The band could cut their emissions by almost 75% by using sea, not air, to ship their three 390-tonne stages to North America. Even then, their emissions would be three times higher than Madonna's 2006 world tour, according to the Belfast Telegraph.

Though U2 may yet announce that they are paying to carbon offset their world tour – they would need to plant 20,118 trees a year, according to Roberts – at least one fan has argued that the environmental damage is worth the price. "The carbon footprint of this might be quite large, but the spiritual rewards to the audience of this are those that enhance a life," Mark Reed wrote in a review for the Final Word website. "If all life were bread and water, then there would be nothing to lift mankind above the amoeba."

And amoebas can't listen to Where the Streets Have No Name.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/ju ... -footprint
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby zartoid on Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:03 pm

I don't like them, you don't like them. If my high school band turned into a 30 year stadium rock career, that's exactly how I'd behave. I'd be in tax exile right now if someone showed me how, and as for carbon offsets we are at least 100 years too late with that gem. My assessment is that I don't much care for their music, but I respect their career and evolution more than their contemporaries who may have filled their shoes if U2 never happened.

Most of the planet seems to get a positive moment of unity and joy from U2, the masses have their music hit taken care of nicely by these guys. I drive a mediocre car and have a regular house with a garden, they both deliver what I ask and they are both from the bland centre of the mass popularity page. You wanna hear about Ford's carbon footprint and taxes ?
zartoid
rocky mountain oysters
rocky mountain oysters

Postby John George Peppers on Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:18 pm

zartoid wrote:U2 are sincere and deliver deep joy to 100k people at a time.

zartoid is right.
warmowski wrote:Those shoes aren't going to gaze at themselves.

BBGS:Ava

BBGS:Inhalant Abuse
John George Peppers
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Andrew. on Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:33 pm

John George Peppers wrote:
zartoid wrote:U2 are sincere and deliver deep joy to 100k people at a time.

zartoid is right.

I think we probably have different understandings of sincerity.

Zartoid doesn't like their music, but he respects U2's success and is happy to defend them at length.

I also dislike their music, and resent having it blasted into my cranium in Dolby Digital Sound at 100 decibels every time I've sat down in a movie theater this summer. Meanwhile, I don't respect their success. I think it's gross.

U2 might "deliver deep joy" to millions, but this is the PRF, not the IKEA checkout, and most of us here know that U2 is CRAP.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby John George Peppers on Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:52 pm

Andrew. wrote:
I also dislike their music, and resent having it blasted into my cranium in Dolby Digital Sound at 100 decibels every time I've sat down in a movie theater this summer. Meanwhile, I don't respect their success. I think it's gross.

U2 might "deliver deep joy" to millions, but this is the PRF, not the IKEA checkout, and most of us here know that U2 is CRAP.

So, when it comes to music you feel that you are above whatever the masses like. However, you go to movies where U2 is playing in the background. I haven't seen a movie with U2 playing in recent memory. I'm guessing these are the big hollywood machine movies you're talking about.

So, you don't mind watching the mind numbing movies for the masses, but you are way above music that drives masses wild in arenas. You seem pretty complex, but now I understand you chief.
warmowski wrote:Those shoes aren't going to gaze at themselves.

BBGS:Ava

BBGS:Inhalant Abuse
John George Peppers

Postby Ernest on Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:57 pm

So, when it comes to music you feel that you are above whatever the masses like.

Don't you feel the same way, at least when taste is concerned?

zartoid wrote:I have owned one U2 record, and while I'm far from a fan, all you haters are really struggling to make any convincing point as to why they don't deserve any respect. The masses love their anthemic rock and U2 are sincere about writing it, they deliver deep joy to 100k people at a time, and that wins over any of the points made so far. For all the anti-Bono rants, he has at least recognized how power and influence can change things, and there are probably several million people not quite so poor, hungry or diseased thanks to his ego and shades.

So jumping on the bandwagon is automatic points? Who gives a shit? They're just a band, a particularly bland band, and entirely overrated. They could convert a billion more people to becoming fans, and it wouldn't change a thing. They're like McDonald's.

zartoid wrote:I say well done U2, and please keep that position occupied so that none of those Coldplay types ever get the chance to step in. Haters - spend next sunday in IKEA, look what people are buying then ask how they like U2.

I'd say "well done" to U2 if I respected anything about them, but I don't. It's not a personal attack; I couldn't give a shit to go that far, but their success, amount of fans, Bono's cause celebre aren't anything special to me.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Andrew. on Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:17 pm

Andrew. wrote:

So, when it comes to music you feel that you are above whatever the masses like. However, you go to movies where U2 is playing in the background. I haven't seen a movie with U2 playing in recent memory. I'm guessing these are the big hollywood machine movies you're talking about.

So, you don't mind watching the mind numbing movies for the masses, but you are way above music that drives masses wild in arenas. You seem pretty complex, but now I understand you chief.

Ehe, whatever. I enjoy some forms of mass entertainment. I just don't think that massive popularity in-itself is a compelling argument for some thing's aesthetic or cultural merits.

And U2 isn't playing in the background, they're advertising Blackberries on screen, or maybe it's the other way around, and Blackberry is advertising U2. I guess it's a joint venture.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby BClark on Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:25 pm

i misread the top of the C/NC page and thought i saw the following:

"throw this crap out: band: u2"
I composed and produced the album California is Cold by Shahmen. Our song Poison has a video.
BClark
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby zartoid on Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:25 pm

Valid points all round, and really I'm not so comfortable with my new vocation as defence for Bono and pals. I guess I'm just pointing out that somebody will fill that stadium slot and I think U2 have made a respectable job of it. OK, that doesn't make them great, but I feel we've had one of the more positive of all possible outcomes with U2 at the helm there.
zartoid
rocky mountain oysters
rocky mountain oysters

Postby ubercat on Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:27 pm

Fuck you, U2.
ubercat
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby hellholiday on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:35 am

U2 is music for crowds. I dont particularly enjoy crowds.

Bono completely shits on every doc unfortunate enough to include his rock pontifications.

Just for those two I vote crap.
hellholiday
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby Wood Goblin on Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:00 am

I thought about U2 this weekend because I live near Solider Field, where they just played two shows. Our neighborhood was packed with U2 fans.

I'm not a fan. I would probably struggle to fill one 60-minute mix CD with U2 songs I like. "New Years Day," however, is perfect.

However, I still feel like raising a glass to them, and here's why. They formed the band when they were teenagers in the late 1970s. The lineup on their first EP, from 1979, is exactly the same as the current lineup. They've never lost or replaced a member, and they've never taken an extended hiatus or broken up/reformed. That's one hell of a marriage.

Has any other band beaten this run?
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby j_harvey on Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:06 pm

Andrew. wrote:Anyone else been forced to endure this as a pre-movie captive advertisement in theaters?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA8SM_ivqpY

When I first heard this song I thought that the guitar melody at the beginning sounded a lot like Faithfully by Journey. Is it just me?
j_harvey
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby Awesome_Komodo on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:37 pm

Here comes the pissball, shithead - get ready!
Awesome_Komodo

Postby Trad on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:34 pm

Awesome_Komodo wrote:Hilarious CRAP

I just don't get it. The band is on, the singer ain't.
Trad
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap