home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Don Caballero - "American Don"

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Don Caballero - "American Don"

Postby jlarcombe on Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:06 am

Hello,

I'm a huge fan of Don Caballero and consider 'American Don' to be one of the finest records ever made. So, congratulations to everyone at Electrical who was involved in its recording.

I know that Ian Williams used delay pedals to achieve those complex looping patterns when Don Cab played the material live. How much of the guitar playing was 'live' on the record, and how much was overdubbed? There certainly seem to be a lot of very distinct guitar tones in each track, but it's hard to tell how much of that was varying mic placements etc. and how much was down to his extremely controlled and distinctive style of playing.

It must have been pretty incredible watching them lay down the end section of 'Haven't Lived Afro Pop'.

cheers,
James.
jlarcombe
ensign
ensign

Re: Don Caballero - "American Don"

Postby cneutron on Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:43 pm

jlarcombe wrote:Hello,

I know that Ian Williams used delay pedals to achieve those complex looping patterns when Don Cab played the material live. How much of the guitar playing was 'live' on the record, and how much was overdubbed? There certainly seem to be a lot of very distinct guitar tones in each track, but it's hard to tell how much of that was varying mic placements etc. and how much was down to his extremely controlled and distinctive style of playing.

Hey James, I neither work at Electrical, nor do I record bands, so therefore it's natural that I respond to your post yes?

The pedals Ian used/uses is the Akai Headrush, there is a profile http://harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Akai/Head_Rush_Tape_Echo_Simulator_Loop_Recorder-01.html
there, which includes a non-spellchecked testimonial by myself. Fantastic pedal when used for the forces of good rather then the forces of evil.

I would hazard a guess and say that it was probably recorded as it was played live, meaning multiple loops and what not, then again I have nothing to do with anything and am just a member of the peanut gallery spouting off, so your mileage may vary.

-C.
cneutron
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Matthias on Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:13 am

Hey everyone...

I also have a Headrush at home and i am really pleased with it so far. The looping feature is really exciting to play with but you need to be a damn good guitar player to be able to loop and overdub parts while playing with the band. I mainly use it to work out guitar harmonies, when i record short patterns and try out different melodies. I also use it to create ambient soundscapes in between the songs. I guess i could be able to use the loop for adding a second guitar in a song we play live, but we didn´t need to do it so far as we already have two guitars in the band.
It´s a great tool to explore, but your timing and coordination needs to be very precise. But i don´t doubt that the Don Caballero guy has the skills to do so...
It´s such a fine line between stupid and clever.
Matthias
tv clown
tv clown

Don Caballero Gear

Postby Andrew Weatherhead on Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:54 am

http://www.geocities.com/brikelly/doncab/

Here is one of the best Don Caballero fansites that I have found, and I am pretty sure I have been to them all. Well, the Forums section holds discussion as to what gear was used by Don Caballero, and particulary Ian Williams. If you are really interested, you should check it out.

Also, I find it incredibly hard to believe that Ian would have recorded most of the guitar tracks live. Due to the complexity and intricacies on American Don I am led to believe that they would lay down the basic tracks and then Ian would go back and put in the extra stuff. Also, I have heard rumors that there were other guitar players, not listed in the liner notes, playing on the album. If this is true, then it is possible to have recorded all of the guitar tracks live as there would be more than one guitar player playing at once.[/quote]
Andrew Weatherhead
rocky mountain oysters
rocky mountain oysters

Re: Don Caballero Gear

Postby steve on Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:09 pm

Andrew Weatherhead wrote:http://www.geocities.com/brikelly/doncab/

Here is one of the best Don Caballero fansites that I have found, and I am pretty sure I have been to them all. Well, the Forums section holds discussion as to what gear was used by Don Caballero, and particulary Ian Williams.

And, like all fan sites and forums, I'm pretty sure it will be absolutely, minutely accurate and not speculative or weird in any way.

Also, I find it incredibly hard to believe that Ian would have recorded most of the guitar tracks live. Due to the complexity and intricacies on American Don I am led to believe that they would lay down the basic tracks and then Ian would go back and put in the extra stuff. Also, I have heard rumors that there were other guitar players, not listed in the liner notes, playing on the album. If this is true, then it is possible to have recorded all of the guitar tracks live as there would be more than one guitar player playing at once.

Ian played all the guitar on this record. He played one guitar layer live with the Eric and Damon (often this included loop layers under a performed part) and then added more layers as overdubs -- as many as six or seven additional guitar layers.

We tried to find a way to make his playing more like the live setting, but Ian also wanted to experiment with an assortment of amps and variations on the overlaying parts, so he decided to do the layers independently.

best,
-steve
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Re: Don Caballero Gear

Postby Andrew Weatherhead on Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:24 pm

Steve wrote:
And, like all fan sites and forums, I'm pretty sure it will be absolutely, minutely accurate and not speculative or weird in any way.

The disclaimer goes without saying.

Anyways, thanks for clearing up some of the myth that is American Don.
Andrew Weatherhead
rocky mountain oysters
rocky mountain oysters

Postby XBangyrdead on Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:45 pm

I've been following both the Don Fanallero web site and the Don Cab discussion forum for quite a while now. And as a big Don Cab fan, I would have to say that most of the info provided on both is not only accurate, but pretty interesting as well. The most inaccurate things on the web site are probably my guitar tabs. But you try and tab out later Don Cab material and tell me how far you get! Anyways, I think the web site is definately worth a look, and the discussion forum isn't too shabby.
So check em' out! Cheers!
XBangyrdead
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby steve on Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:55 pm

XBangyrdead wrote:I've been following both the Don Fanallero web site and the Don Cab discussion forum for quite a while now. And as a big Don Cab fan, I would have to say that most of the info provided on both is not only accurate, but pretty interesting as well. The most inaccurate things on the web site are probably my guitar tabs. But you try and tab out later Don Cab material and tell me how far you get! Anyways, I think the web site is definately worth a look, and the discussion forum isn't too shabby.
So check em' out! Cheers!

A tabber! I'm into tab. Those are some great tabs. How'd you tab those out? Tab me up some Don Cab. Tabbin' tabbers tabbin' Cab tabs. That's some tough tabwork! Tabbin' the Don, tabbin' the Cab. Tab out.

-steve
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby XBangyrdead on Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:21 pm

You like the tabs? Maybe I should send you some tabs sometime? I'll wrap em' in a nice pretty box w/ a huge bow! That's what I'll do.
XBangyrdead
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Don

Postby Andrew Weatherhead on Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:12 pm

Fucking Don Taballero.
Andrew Weatherhead
rocky mountain oysters
rocky mountain oysters

Postby XBangyrdead on Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:14 am

That's brilliant! Did you think of that all by yourself?
XBangyrdead
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby A Guy on Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:52 am

Yow!
A Guy

Postby ian on Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:02 am

ian
convert
convert

Thank You

Postby Andrew Weatherhead on Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:32 am

See. That's what I'm talking about.
Andrew Weatherhead
rocky mountain oysters
rocky mountain oysters

Postby Justin Foley on Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:52 am

Oh. You guys are talking about tabbing.

I thought you were talking about stabbing.
Justin Foley
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby XBangyrdead on Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:42 pm

Man, I miss tab! They still sell that stuff? I haven't seen it in years.
That was kick ass soda!
XBangyrdead
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby greasygoose on Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:37 pm

I think the subject of tabs was already included in another post about drug usage in the studio.
greasygoose
envoy
envoy

Postby Justin Foley on Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:39 pm

Justin Foley

Re: Don Caballero - "American Don"

Postby greasygoose on Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:12 pm

jlarcombe wrote:I'm a huge fan of Don Caballero and consider 'American Don' to be one of the finest records ever made.

Mate,

Shirley, you jest. Does this historical bank from which you’re drawing include such documents as “War of the Worlds” or any decent recording of Beethoven’s 9th, or for that matter any of those Celia Cruz records my neighbor kept me up all night playing, or or or… Maybe you mean to say you consider this album to be one of the finest records you’ve ever heard.

Anyway, for my ducats, the DonCab (tab tab) album of choice is the one with the green cover. “AmDon” (tabbity tab tab) has some great moments, but the arrangements seem a bit contrived at times to me, and all that layered Akai guitar shit is a wee spot wanky for my tastes. The playing on that green album, especially the first disc, is more inspired, the songs more seminal, the performances more visceral, an excellent marriage of abstractness and ferocity. Just my $.02. I don’t get paid to critique records, I’m doing my best dammit.

Sincerely,
The Reverend Jesse Jackson

Maybe we should take a poll. Wait, let’s not.
greasygoose
envoy
envoy

green one

Postby sixteenrev on Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:12 pm

I agree, the green one is far and away their most inspired
sixteenrev
pod
pod

Next

Return to General Discussion