home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Band: Earth

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Earth?

CRAP
12
7%
NOT CRAP
153
93%
 
Total votes : 165

Re: Band: Earth

Postby John C5 on Fri May 15, 2009 5:15 am

raygun wrote:
raygun wrote:They're passable. I once heard a really good song by them on shuffle, and then later kinda listened to every song of theirs trying to find it...and I didn't. And none of the ones I listened to were excellent.


I was wrong about this. They are an excellent band, with many excellent songs (Raiford (The Felon Wind) & An Inquest Concerning Teeth from Hex and Miami Morning Coming Down II (Shine) from The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull are my current favourites).

I didn't enjoy Earth 2; I don't really go in for that kind of thing. But the triumphant parade of ringing, rhyming chords on the later Earth albums? Awesome.


I must admit I'm much more into the later Earth.
sleepkid wrote:It is a deep and complex world, and so try and take a breather every so often.
User avatar
John C5
paul schaffer
paul schaffer
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:08 am
Location: Middlesbrough Cleveland England

Re: Band: Earth

Postby Dudley on Fri May 15, 2009 5:31 am

One of the things I really like about the more recent albums is those occasional bursts/moments of - I don't know how to describe it without it sounding a bit shit - kind of conventional (corny even) "rock" guitar that, in the context of the rest of it, just sound triumphant and (frankly) glorious. There's something similar going on "Life... The Best Game In Town"

EDIT: I was also pretty bewildered when I heard that Bill Frisell was on "Bees Made Honey" - I couldn't really think of two musicians who in my mind are more different in persona, approach and sound - but now it just seems logical.
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
User avatar
Dudley
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
 
Posts: 3981
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:31 pm
Location: London

Re: Band: Earth

Postby BClark on Fri May 15, 2009 8:33 am

Dudley wrote:One of the things I really like about the more recent albums is those occasional bursts/moments of - I don't know how to describe it without it sounding a bit shit - kind of conventional (corny even) "rock" guitar that, in the context of the rest of it, just sound triumphant and (frankly) glorious. There's something similar going on "Life... The Best Game In Town"

EDIT: I was also pretty bewildered when I heard that Bill Frisell was on "Bees Made Honey" - I couldn't really think of two musicians who in my mind are more different in persona, approach and sound - but now it just seems logical.

yea harvey milk and earth both have some very triumphant moments. they also both have an exceptional sense of tone and harmonic brilliance.
I composed and produced the album California is Cold by Shahmen. Our song Poison has a video.
User avatar
BClark
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3093
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:29 pm
Location: nomadic

Re: Band: Earth

Postby raygun on Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:23 pm

"Hex is, like, 10 times the record that Earth 2 was" -Dylan Carlson

I'm watching Within The Drone, a Hex-era Earth documentary. Man, I love this band. So much.
I Dream of Lars Ulrich Being Thrown Through the Bus Window Instead of My Mystikal Master Kliff Burton
User avatar
raygun
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran
 
Posts: 1586
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:09 pm
Location: NW London

Re: Band: Earth

Postby iembalm on Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:41 pm

I've only heard Bees Make Honey, but I like it a bunch, especially the tunes with Frisell.
iembalm
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9510
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:47 am

Re: Band: Earth

Postby mackro on Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:00 pm

BClark wrote:
Dudley wrote:One of the things I really like about the more recent albums is those occasional bursts/moments of - I don't know how to describe it without it sounding a bit shit - kind of conventional (corny even) "rock" guitar that, in the context of the rest of it, just sound triumphant and (frankly) glorious. There's something similar going on "Life... The Best Game In Town"

EDIT: I was also pretty bewildered when I heard that Bill Frisell was on "Bees Made Honey" - I couldn't really think of two musicians who in my mind are more different in persona, approach and sound - but now it just seems logical.

yea harvey milk and earth both have some very triumphant moments. they also both have an exceptional sense of tone and harmonic brilliance.


Well, both live in the same not-so-big city... small enough such that crossing paths is inevitable. That said, I kinda disagree with the oppositeness of *recent* Dylan Carson and Bill Frisell... so while it was a nice eyeopener to hear of Frisell's contributions, it wasn't all that surprising, since Frisell guests with lots of people in town (as does Dylan.)
"Pro Tools is too California Hollywood bullshit.”
User avatar
mackro
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:06 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Band: Earth

Postby bigc on Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am

Earth live in Athens?
User avatar
bigc
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2398
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:07 pm
Location: Decatur GA

Re: Band: Earth

Postby Dug-do-all-animals on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:46 am

Just about to order their newish live LP.
Breezed
Dug-do-all-animals
les paul
les paul
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:47 am

Re: Band: Earth

Postby Model Citizen on Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:27 pm

Not Crap.

I love The bees made honey in the lion's skull. It's got a really cool apocalyptic vibe to it I think.
Model Citizen
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
 
Posts: 3548
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:21 am
Location: Immigrant

Re: Band: Earth

Postby mr.arrison on Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:36 pm

Model Citizen wrote:Not Crap.

I love The bees made honey in the lion's skull. It's got a really cool apocalyptic vibe to it I think.



But, I just bought the "bible" version 2XLP of the "bees made honey.." record, and it's warped right out of the plastic - all to fuck - and will barely play. I sent an email to Southern Lord seeing if they'd replace it. Anyone else have this issue?

Anyways, Earth to me is transcendental of genre, and that's one of the things that's so refreshing about all their very different recordings. Earth 2 sounds like nothing before it, and didn't fit a niche; Bees Made Honey is immensely moody, possibly the missing soundtrack to a Kubrick western..

NOT CRAP!!
mr.arrison
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
 
Posts: 3663
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:10 pm
Location: rva usa

Re: Band: Earth

Postby bigc on Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:21 pm

raygun wrote:"Hex is, like, 10 times the record that Earth 2 was" -Dylan Carlson

I'm watching Within The Drone, a Hex-era Earth documentary. Man, I love this band. So much.
Is it online anywhere?
User avatar
bigc
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2398
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:07 pm
Location: Decatur GA

Re: Band: Earth

Postby LBx on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:58 pm

i don't agree with that at all. but i would check out the doc, definitely.
User avatar
LBx
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4387
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:31 am
Location: Quebexico

Re: Band: Earth

Postby raygun on Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:50 pm

bigc wrote:
raygun wrote:"Hex is, like, 10 times the record that Earth 2 was" -Dylan Carlson

I'm watching Within The Drone, a Hex-era Earth documentary. Man, I love this band. So much.
Is it online anywhere?


I downloaded it via Bittorrent because I was not in a position to buy it. There is an uncompressed DVD rip available on Bittorrent, listed on btjunkie (search for "earth drone").
I Dream of Lars Ulrich Being Thrown Through the Bus Window Instead of My Mystikal Master Kliff Burton
User avatar
raygun
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran
 
Posts: 1586
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:09 pm
Location: NW London

Re: Band: Earth

Postby Agrimes on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:07 pm

mr.arrison wrote:
But, I just bought the "bible" version 2XLP of the "bees made honey.." record, and it's warped right out of the plastic - all to fuck - and will barely play. I sent an email to Southern Lord seeing if they'd replace it. Anyone else have this issue?


I have "Bees.." on vinyl too, and mine turned out just fine. Maybe you just got a dud.
Agrimes
president
president
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Band: Earth

Postby rocker654 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:19 pm

The same band that was formed by a loser friend of loser Curt Kobain? Who left a young child fatherless because his sensibilities were too "sensitive jesus, sick and tummy pain" for this world?

What I have heard of Earth sucked. Nirvana sucked. Fuck them both. Neither of them could hold a candle to the worst day that Aerosmith sucked. and Aerosmith started really sucking once they kicked. Aerosmith, now, has a large catalog of songs that suck, but not to the extent of this "scene" of Seattle assholes.
blue_thunder wrote:You know, I can't help but think that Kim Gordon records all of her vocals while dropping a deuce.

http://www.myspace.com/therealrocker654
User avatar
rocker654
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3162
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:18 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Band: Earth

Postby Pure L on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:44 pm

Jesus, R654.

You sound like a real prick saying that shit.
User avatar
Pure L
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2498
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:11 pm
Location: Seattle WA

Re: Band: Earth

Postby mr.arrison on Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:32 am

rocker654 wrote:The same band that was formed by a loser friend of loser Curt Kobain?

What I have heard of Earth sucked.


Yeah, and the then-junkie leader of Earth (rev A), Dylan Carlson, bought the gun that Kurt used to commit suicide. I don't hear anything "seattle" about the past, oh, 4-5 Earth (rev B) albums. No singing, no flannel, Nothing. Give them a try. It's real good stuff- moody, well orchestrated and beautiful. In my opinion at least. Start with "Bees Made Honey" and work backwards..
mr.arrison
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
 
Posts: 3663
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:10 pm
Location: rva usa

Re: Band: Earth

Postby rocker654 on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:10 am

I did a little homework before flaming them outright. A couple of months ago, I visited their MySpace page and sampled a few of their songs. Every one of them seemed like a three chord drone. I'd listen for as long as I could stand, then I'd fast-forward to see if there were any musical bars that deviated from these themes, but there only seemed to be a shift in dynamics, if anything. I know some people like this, but I'm not one of them. They did have a lot of music on MySpace to check up on. I was amused by the fact that Google had trouble determining whether I was looking for "Earth - The band" or "Manfred Mann's Earth Band".

I just don't like them is all. This is Crap/Not Crap. Perhaps I used too much vitriol in my slagging them and Nirvana off, but the answer is still the same in both cases.
blue_thunder wrote:You know, I can't help but think that Kim Gordon records all of her vocals while dropping a deuce.

http://www.myspace.com/therealrocker654
User avatar
rocker654
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3162
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:18 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Band: Earth

Postby wellsyuk on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:17 am

Its says 'Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom' below your name. Hmm. Yeah..
User avatar
wellsyuk
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight
 
Posts: 1392
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:29 am
Location: Brighton, England

Re: Band: Earth

Postby rocker654 on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:34 am

Yeah, and it says "Gabby Hartnett" below your name. Hmm...yeah.
blue_thunder wrote:You know, I can't help but think that Kim Gordon records all of her vocals while dropping a deuce.

http://www.myspace.com/therealrocker654
User avatar
rocker654
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3162
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:18 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], RSMurphy and 10 guests